Thus, below is my pre-preseason poll for MGoBlog's Blog Poll. If you're not familiar with it, the Blog Poll is a weekly college football poll whose voters are comprised of college football bloggers across the land (or in our case, blogs that put up a lot of pictures of semi-naked co-eds and tangentially touch upon college football).
Now, the sole purpose of the pre-preseason poll is to get input and feedback. So what do you have to say?
And let me be perfectly honest in saying most of this is guesswork. Then again, how can it not be at this point?
Couple things about why I voted the way I did:
* MICHIGAN - in a nutshell, I don't believe yet. Yes, our offense is loaded but will we be able to stop anyone? We lost our best D players and this from a unit that got absolutely embarrassed by the two really good teams it played at the end of last season. Plus, we often seem to find a way to drop an early game and our Oregon-ND-Penn State stretch looks like the place we could do that.
* PENN STATE - I agree with Kirk Herbstreit here: they have the D to make a run. Couple that with an experienced QB and the feeling that Joe Pa might have one more great run in him and me thinks this could be their year.
* UGA - Why so high? Why not. There is always one team that people think will be good, but not great, that makes a run (see Michigan 2006). Who it is is anybody's guess in August. Thus, UGA is my guess.
* WVU - Sorry, Mountaineer fans, you're a top ranked party school but I just don't buy you as a top ranked football team, no matter what the other polls say. PLAY SOMEBODY OUT OF CONFERENCE then we'll talk about lofty preseason rankings.
* OHIO STATE - Can't doubt Tressel after what he's done there but after losing so much talent, this could be a down year, well, a down year by the lofty standards he's set in C-bus.
* WISCO - I think last year was a mirage based on scheduling (ie no OSU). And with a non-con schedule this year which includes a WVU-like "gauntlet" of Wazoo, UNLV, the Citadel and Northern Illinois, they could be poised to look great early. But I still think they're going to drop two in the Big 10, maybe three.
* MIAMI - like UGA as my team that most pick in the middle of the preseason top 25 pack, Miami is my pick for a team that's not ranked but sneaks into the poll early and hangs around for the rest of the season. Again, there's always at least one team like that, this is mine.
Ok, let me hear your thoughts. The "real" Blog Poll preseason poll will be released next week. Bri asked voters to put up a pre-pre, get feedback, then submit the real McCoy (not to be confused with Colt). Thus, feedback away.
UPDATE: The first official Blog Poll is up on MGoBlog.